Sunday 11 September 2011

In search of tree tomatoes

Last week in Kenya, I was really looking forward to sinking my teeth into a dripping, juicy tree tomato after joining recently an FB discussion about the fruit started by writer Binyavanga Wainaina.
I was told by Kenyans in the know(you know who you are) I would find tree tomatoes (aka tamarillo) a plenty in Mombasa. 
I searched from Malindi to Mombasa old town and didn’t see a single one.. the closest I came was a not so nice tree tomato white chocolate and mousse in a very posh Mombasa eatery...

Fortunately I was cleverly distracted by a number of other gastronomic delights, not the least of which were the cooking untensils I brought home.. a handsome sieve, Kenyan made by Lion and a Chapti pan from the local Nakumatt( supermarket chain).

And this wonderful handmade mbuzi( coconut grater), to this ingenious gadget I want to dedicate a whole post (later).

Then the food- starting up North, in Malindi the best pizza and espresso I’ve had ouside Naples. I can’t decide whether to love or hate the Mediterranean flavour the Italians have added to this quaint town…

In Mombasa, the most delectable rice dishes- biriani, subtly spiced pilau, fluffy “wali wa nazi”- rice cooked in coconut milk. Spicy chicken tika and crisp “kuku choma” ( barbequed chicken), heavenly fresh naan bread baked in a tandoori oven and the small tangy,  juicy “katchumbari “(salads) on the side.


 A expert pavement chip-maker, producing the freshest, crispiest, potato chips with a sprinkling of a very fiery spice blend- perfect with a “bia biridi”( cold beer). Ingmar


No comments:

Post a Comment